That title is a little misleading. I don’t know if “younger” is the right word, but I’m going with it. Let me explain: One of the main issues that I feel like I’m always fighting at my current age, is always looking tired. Even when I don’t FEEL tired, I LOOK tired. It’s a sort of “dullness” that I work constantly to shake off. I don’t feel dull. Far from it. So, I’d like my outside to reflect my inside! I’ve put together 10 things that you can do to look younger and more vibrant TODAY.
In terms of budget, I don’t have an unlimited one. In fact I’d call it constrained at best! Most of my residual dollars go to skincare and hair. So getting some procedures to shave off a few years and perk up my look really isn’t going to happen right now. Instead, I put in a lot of research to come up with some things that you can do right now, that won’t break the bank, but will go a long way in helping women over 40 to feel and look more vibrant, youthful…….and less tired. I think we all want that.
This post contains affiliate links.
I’ve linked the exact products that I use so you can click the link if you’d like to shop.
1.Brighten the whites of your eyes. This is a big one for me. My eyes are hazel and the whites these days, just look so dull. I hate it. I’d been using Visine, and while that did make a difference, it’s nothing compared to these drops by Bausch + Lomb! You guys- one drop in each eye and the whites are completely white and bright in less than 5 minutes! And the effect lasts almost all day. Brighten up those whites to look more awake!.
2.Whiten your teeth. I have crowns on my top teeth after having tetracycline staining as a child, so they do stay white now. But I’ve noticed that as people age, their teeth do get dingy and it’s a big thing that ages you. My husband uses Crest 3D White strips and they are amazing and super convenient. You can even grab some off brands now from Target that are a bit cheaper. This will brighten your look straight away and make you feel so good about your smile. (Can cause sensitivity for some people, so consider getting Sensodyne as well.)
3.Apply Self tanner. I wrote about my fool proof method and how to do this here. And while I’m not sure if this is just a “thing” in the U.S., there is something youthful and “blurring” about a tan. A good spray tan will give you the same effect, but you can easily do this at home for less than $25. It blurs imperfections and gives a more youthful glow. I also think it gives you a little more confidence to wear shorts and dresses! This one is my hands down fav.
5. Fix your lips! I’ve written an entire post about this before here. Dry, cracked lips age us. Get soft lips again by using Treat Beauty lip scrub and lip balm. Organic and cruelty free this lip balm does the trick quickly. Then try lining your lips just outside the natural line with the perfect nude pencil. Then fill in your lips with the same pencil and add a touch of light gloss for moisture. The ones I use are linked below. They are all in nude shades that are great for really helping to make your lips more natural and more youthful.
6. Add the tiniest touch of highlighter. The tip here if you’re over forty is “less is more” and find a moisturizing, slight glimmer lotion rather than a bold highlighter. Add just a tiny dot to the TOP of the cheekbone, and then blend out and up. You can also add it above the brow, and a touch on the cupids bow of your lips. This will catch the light as you move and creates a more youthful glow on your face.
7. Use a Satin Finish Foundation. A matte finish can be drying on mature skin, accentuating lines and wrinkles, while the “illuminating” finishes can sometimes make you look too shiny. A satin finish provides more of a “dewey” look that can help minimize lines. My favorite drugstore and high end brands are linked below.
8. Deep Condition Your Hair. I wrote a post on how to get great hair over 40 here. Unmovable hair is aging. To give your hair some life and movement again, consider doing a deep treatment. I swear by this conditioning hair mask by Amika. You will notice a big difference the very first time you use it.
9. Fix the neck. While this is not permanent, it bares mentioning because it really does work. These neck strips attach to the back of your neck and under your hair. They instantly make your neck look lifted and smooth. These are great to have on hand for special occasions or for formal portraiture. Just keep some on hand and follow the directions.
10. Embrace High Tech Solutions. This one isn’t instant, but the results are great and worth mentioning here. I am firmly on the NuFace bandwagon. Its an at-home facial toning device that is clinically tested for improved facial contour, skin tone, and reduction of the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles through the use of micro-current technologies. I’ve been using it for about a year and I’m super happy with the results!
I hope that you will give a few of these things a try. These are my very best tips for helping you to look more “awake”, brighter and more youthful today. I think we would all like to look a little fresher and more vibrant. Often times it’s these tiny little things that we do that can make such a world of difference in our appearance. Let me know in the comments if you have any tips to add to these. I am always ready to absorb new tips and tricks from the Hive Mind, here. 🙂 After all- we’re in this together. If we don’t help each other…..who’s going to?
If you found this helpful, please consider sharing it on social media for others to read. I appreciate that so much!
You may also like to read about these 3 important skincare serums that every woman over 40 needs.
You can always shop my outfits from Instagram here.
Until next time lovelies!
My Amazon Cart